How much do you know about Rempah Udang, a traditional Peranakan dessert made of glutinous rice with shrimps filling wrapped in banana leaves? What are the ingredients that goes into this delicious snack? Where did the beautiful blue tinge in the rice comes from?
Who are the Peranakans? Do you know that Laksa (spicy coconut broth with noodles), Ayam buah keluak(black candlenut with chicken) and Kueh Salat are all classic Peranakan dishes?
In this edition of our TeaGIF live stream, we are going to visit Kim Choo Kueh Chang , a beloved old-world establishment that specialises in delicious nonya rice dumplings. But instead of teaching you about rice dumplings, we invite you to join us in a do-along session to wrap and assemble your very own Rempah Udang.
Through this hands-on experience and tour around the heritage shophouse, you will gain a glimpse into understanding the food & material culture of the Peranakans, satisfy your curiosity and learn all that you need to know about this delicious snack.
Date/Time of livestream: 18th September (Friday), 1530hrs-1615hrs
Important things to note:
***Rempah Udang Kit can only be processed with purchase of the live stream tour***
1. Upon successful registration and payment, a Zoom meeting code and password will be emailed to you. The meeting code and password will be emailed to you latest on the morning of the live stream date. Do log in 3 minutes earlier as the livestream session will start on time.
2. Throughout the session, we encourage you to ask questions and interact with our guides and natives (or subject matter expert) via the chat and unmute function.
3. It is not necessary to purchase the food and delivery bundle to enjoy the livestream. However, we encourage you to do so to support our #localbusinesses. Tribe is not marking up on the food and delivery fees as our support for these businesses.
1.The Rempah Udang Kit will be delivered between 10.30-2.30pm in the morning of the live stream.
2.Cut-off time for pre-order will be on Thursday, 17th September, 1200 hrs.
3.Delivery fee applies for delivery to one single address only. Please indicate your delivery address under Notes during check out.
4.For delivery to multiple addresses, please select the quantity based on the number of addresses to be delivered to.
1. Self collection option is available at Rumah Kim Choo, 111 East Coast Road, Singapore 428801 only between 1030- 2pm on the day of the livestream.
Rempah Udang Do-along Kit:
1. Each Rempah Udang Kit makes 6 pieces of Rempah Udang. The kit comprises of all ingredients and materials require to make the snack. This includes steamed glutinous rice, rempah, blue pea flowers, banana leaves and toothpicks.
2. Participants will need to pre-steam the banana leaves for at least 5 minutes prior to the start of the session to soften the leaves for ease of wrapping.
3. Participants will need to prepare the following prior to the start of the session
- 2 x spoons
- 1 x small bowl of hot water to extract blue pea flowers (you can soak blue pea in water earlier to extract out as much colours)
- 1 x small bowl of room temperature water
- 1 x large plate to steam the finished product (approximately 24cm plate)
- A pot filled with water for steaming (must be able to fit the plate)
4.We will close off the pre-order one day before the live stream.
For enquiries, email email@example.com